Friday, May 1, 2015

C Section Recovery

My pregnancy went well with Joelle other than all the typical aches and groans that come with it. It was more difficult than my other pregnancies because my morning sickness prolonged for quite some time and I had 3 full time kids at home to take care of. We moved when I was 8.5 months pregnant and because Joelle was breech I now know why I was in so much pain while moving and getting around. Her head was pushing up in my rib cage causing a lot of discomfort and a hard time breathing. I remember standing singing in church and unable to keep up with the congregation singing. A bit strange for a 27 year old but I soon discovered why.
It was emotional to accept that I had to have a c section. I was very nervous about the operation and frustrated that things couldn't go the way I wanted them to go. The experience was like none other and not one I would choose to repeat. Giving birth naturally is a much easier way to go! Don't kid yourself thinking that laying on a stretcher and being numb and operated on is enjoyable... there's so much disbelief that c sections are an easy way out but they truly aren't. I am now almost 6 weeks postpartum and feeling good but still recovering. I over did it a few times and payed for it. My muscles inside that were cut to deliver Joelle are at war with each other. Occasionally I am doubled over in pain from muscle spasms. I hope this doesn't last and it all heals up properly.

After Joelle was born and I was getting stitched shut and the doctors are talking about a ski trip I layed there praying to give me more strength and not have a break down. My arms were strapped down to the sides of the bed and I could feel tugging and pulling but no pain, so strange! Geoff had left my side to check our new baby out with the pediatrician. Geoff came back to my head and said that our baby has health issues. She was born with 4 toes and 2 of those toes are fused together. It was alot to take in and to hear. After all our babies were born Geoff would always say "10 fingers, 10 toes". Well this time it was not the case... "10 fingers, 9 toes". What?! I was confused and still lying there getting stapled shut by the doctors. I didn't know what to think. The pediatrician came to my side and said there was an issue with our baby and he had never seen anything like this before and was not able to tell us at that time what it was. He wanted to examine her again right away to check everything over and hopefully give us a name or more info on what we were going to be dealing with. He explained to me what it looked like cause I had not seen her yet. Soon after they brought her too me but all bundled up. She was beautiful and perfect no matter what lied underneath the cozy blankets she was wrapped in!

What all happened after that is history, I won't go into detail about the comings and goings of c section. You'll have to come over for coffee if you want to hear about all that.



No comments:

Post a Comment